Monday, September 6, 2010

The love of a penny.


So you know all the sayings..... A penny saved it a penny earned; A penny for your thoughts; Penny wise, pound foolish; Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck; etc.

I am here to inform you that I FOUND A PENNY THIS MORNING! Yeaya! :)

(**Note that is NOT my hand....that pic is courtesy of google....hence the knarly man thumb.)

So my wayward mind took to some pondering on the penny.....

Why love the penny? Better question, why NOT love the penny! I mean this shiny little chunk is larger than a dime, but worth only a tithes worth of that same dime. It is fascinating. Then I remembered a teacher once told me in chem, (while doing a lab where we destroyed helpless pennies,) that awhile back it costed more to make a penny that $0.01, so they had to re-vamp their formula and take out part of the copper. (I believe, unless of course I am lying right now.) Anyways. How awesome these little buggers are. I mean, excluding only one while naming a price makes you feel like you are paying an entire dollar lense, (EX: $19.99 looks so much less than $20.00).

I wikipedia-d the whole penny action as well as the saying, and pretty much all it said was that the 'Find a penny' rhyme is strangely similar to the 'Find a pin' rhyme. Suck. All I'm saying is that I would way rather have a shiny penny to a pokey pin any day! Dear Wikipedia, for once you have let me down.

While in my 'pondering of the penny' state I happened to hear the song 'If I Die Young' by The Band Perry (fantastic song, exactly what I want if I die young, LOL)...anyways in the song Kimberly Perry sings,
"A penny for my thoughts, oh no I’ll sell them for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I’m a goner
And maybe then you’ll hear the words I been singin’
Funny when you're dead how people start listenin’"

Intriguingly true, right?! I mean my man Mikey Jackson made way more $$ in the 6 months proceeding his death than he did in the decade preceeding. Say what?! Gotta love the craziness of life!

This lucky penny of mine, proved its luck throughout the course of my day. :) I got to spend time with my lovely fam, and do my adorable sister's hair all fancy. I was graced by the beauty of rain and thunderstorms with a magnificent lightening show to boot! Got to see and talk to old friends. Got to spend time with the lovely Sister Larson and Sister Whetton who never cease to make me smile. Got to go to an awesome FHE with an awesome ward. Got to see amazing friends and people whom I love. Got phone calls from my 2 besties in the whole wide world. And the list goes on and on...... :) Twas a mighty fine day! :)

So to wrap up this entirely too lengthy post about a simple penny, I hope to challenge us all to live each day as if we have just been graced by a 'lucky penny'....maybe then we will see more of the blessings God grants us all each day, the beauty that surrounds us, and the opportunities we have to become better day by day. :) I'm going to try this gratitude exploration and I'd invite you to do the same. :)


-Thank you, dear penny, for greeting me with the lovely Lincoln Memorial this fine day!

Peace.Out_MK

1 comment:

Angie said...

Awww Mandy...it's good to have you back in the blogging world!