Thursday, August 25, 2011

Roadtrips & Changes

Hello friends!
Sorry about my lack of posts lately. This massive fatty should hopefully catch you up... 

 Last I blogged I was heading home to Minneapolis in the morning. I did that. I loved that. 
As per planned I only spent a short amount of time in MN. My days consisted of helping my family prepare to move, with the occasional sneak-away to see my lovelies. I can definitely say that Minnesota has a special place in my heart. I love it. 
I can't wait to return. ASAP!



 Due to some unexpected truck issues, we ended up heading out later than planned. We bid farewell to our cities August 7th, and opened a new chapter in our book of life. 


 I love road-trips. To me they are one of those little treasures wherein one can really, honestly, truly experience life and peace. 
The world is a wonderful place. 


Change is something I really like so this trip was fairly easy for me to enjoy. I am a very blessed girl. Other members of my lovely fam would like to kick 'change' in the face. Despite our ups and downs we made it alive. 
A success in my book.



Our route included going over to North Dakota then cutting up to Canada to drive the Alaskan Highway 1.


 Surprisingly enough the borders weren't too bad to cross. After reading horror stories online where people had to unload their trucks and pay officers $180 an hour to search all their belongings, we were all a bit worried about this endeavor. But, it was a breeze. Pull up to the window, give the man paperwork/passports, go inside to register guns, welcome to Canada / Alaska.

 BREAKING NEWS: Canada is magnificent!

Not only is the scenery spectacular, but the mass amounts of Ford trucks as well. I imagine Heaven could potentially be like this. : ) 

The 55 hours of driving we anticipated from Google.Maps was quite an underestimate.

Things that can slow one down when cruising: 
1. Two large moving trucks with trailers driving 45-60 mph.
2. Said trucks and trailers needing 6 tires replaced by the end of our little trip.
3. Huge storms day after day.


Breaks in the rain provided opportune moments of beauty. Don't dismay, we got plenty of time to take mass amounts of pictures.
(You were worried. I could tell.)


 Can I just say, I think the above picture of Katie is one of my very favorites.

Also, can I just say that I love my family.


Answer: Yes! 
It's my blog. I can say whatever I want. 
Word.


We drove, drove, and drove, and when we were tired of that and our bums were completely numb, guess what we did?....Kept on driving. haha

We made it to Delta Junction, Alaska, late Saturday afternoon, got the keys to our new party pad, and had mass amounts of happy Mormons to help unload the trucks.

For those of you who are counting that means 7 days of driving.




 This whole Alaskan experience is great....different but great.
There are a total of zero stoplights in our town, something completely foreign to us. Delta consists of a missile base, an automotive supply stores, a couple shelves worth of an overpriced grocery store, a library, coffee, and a couple gas stations that charge $4 a gallon....that's about it. 
We are only 2 hours from North Pole and Fairbanks though, so we get to sneak away to stoplights occasionally.


Great things about Alaska...
-Light. When we got here we had daylight until midnight, now we lose it about 10:30, still awesome.
-Trucks. Everywhere. Bomb.
-Scenery. Gorgeous. always.
-Wildlife. Birds, Caribou, Bison, and plenty of Moose (above pic).


 While I really like it here, I have decided to take a leap of faith and move back to Rexburg with my brother to get a big-kid job and be with friends.
My flight leaves next Friday, Sept 2nd, and I will be arriving back in Idaho on Saturday afternoon.
That's the plan for now. I'll let you know. 
: )
Here's to the longest post ever! Hurraaah!
(and sorry)

My final requests for now:
1. Come visit Alaska, the land where we have all of these wildflowers in our yard.
2. Love living that lovely life of yours.




<3 Living the Dream,
-MK


Remember: It's far easier to add chapters to our story than to subtract them.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I LOVE this post! What an amazing adventure for your famiy! I would LOVE to visit Alaska!